Many men and women are concerned by the appearance of dark circles under their eyes, often described as “Those big dark circles under my eyes.” Discolouration or dark circles under the eyes are not a serious skin concern, but they make you look tired, fatigued, unhealthy and aged.
Many factors contribute to dark circles, like sleep deprivation, oversleeping, unhealthy diet, alcohol, spending long hours in front of a computer, stress, crying, illness, heredity, ageing (as skin becomes thinner blood vessels are more visible and appear blue) et cetera. It is important to understand the cause of your dark circles – a full night’s sleep is not the only cure.
1. Elevate your head with an extra pillow when sleeping, to reduce the pooling of blood and fluid beneath your eyes. Follow with a 5 minute cold compress using either chilled cucumber or a hydrating eye masque to constrict the blood vessels.
2. Avoid excess of sun. Wear good quality sunglasses with UV filters and protect the delicate eye tissue from UV damage.
3. Apply a cold compress paste of raw potatoes, tomatoes and turmeric for 20 minutes daily for a few weeks and you will notice a reduction in the discoloration. Potatoes and tomatoes contain natural bleaching properties which help lighten dark circles and reduce the puffiness around the eyes. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits, which diminishes discoloration and puffy eyes.
4. There is no 100% cure to pigmentation. But the right usage of eye care products can reduce the discoloration. Look for an eye treatment with ingredients such as caffeine, licorice, vitamin C and Niacinamide. Use tinted SPF eye cream with in-built optical light diffusers to conceal and diminish the appearance of dark circles.
5. For intense treatment, use a fortifying night time eye product that will accelerate skin lightening – the main ingredient of such an intense eye treatment is retinol. Look for a formula that contains 0.1% retinol, this concentration allows you achieve the benefits of visibly improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation without any adverse irritation – a key balance especially for the delicate eye area.
6. Never drag the delicate eye tissue. Use light, gentle movements to remove or apply any eye product. Use the ring finger and always gently work inwards towards the inner corners of the eye.
7. Express eye treatment. Indulge in a spa treatment for eyes like the Dermalogica Eye Rescue Treatment, a 20 minute quick fix treat for tired, lacklustre eyes. It concentrates on gentle exfoliation, nourishing and rejuvenating the eye area. This eye revitalizing treatment is especially perfect after long travels!
Avni Amlaniis International skin expertand consultant to Dermalogica India. To know more about the brand, visitwww.dermalogicaindia.com