Stay away from tight flashy clothing on a first date. Photo credit: CREATISTA / Shutterstock
Forget cricket. The dating game is the most prevalent game of the century. Right? So, why not follow the rules of the game, and at least win a few of them, if not all? These days it doesn't take much to get a date, but what matters the most is, how does the date go? Women usually intuitively know how to dress and conduct themselves in such scenarios, but men need a few pointers to ensure that the right things are seen, said and done. Many men falter on the packaging bit with fashion mistakes. Make sure you aren’t making any of these!
1. Too tight garments like T-shirts and denims: Your body is your temple and you take care of it well, but please don't show it off to an extreme; that’s just a big put off. A well-developed body can be seen through a decently sized, well-ironed piece of clothing as well. Allow yourself to breathe comfortably and look relaxed whilst enjoying your date, without being conscious of anything extra sticking out. Let your confidence and image shine; for other things, there'll be lots of time. (Here's how to wear a T-shirt for fine-dining -- really!)
2. Overbearing eau de toilette: Smelling fresh and nice is pleasing, but too much of it can be very discomforting, especially if the fragrance is too strong and unpleasant. Hence, a couple of sprays or dabs of light, musky, spicy ones are good. Flowery ones can be avoided. (Here are 10 perfumes for every personality type.)
3. Too many accessories: Thick metal chains in the neck, too many rings on fingers, bracelets, overly bulky belt buckles... anything that looks flashy, imposed and unnatural does not work for a date. These hint at a show-off rather than fashionable personality. A couple of decent accessory pieces that go with your style are enough. (Here's a gentleman's guide to accessorizing a suit.)
Photo credit: Fotos593 / Shutterstock
4. Facial hair: Yes we know, each to his or her own but this is a date and not a jungle meet that you are going for. A beard, even if it is long but managed well, can add character to your look (here’s how to take care of your beard). But please by any standard, nostrils, ears and moustache need to be neatly trimmed.
5. Heavily branded clothes: Too many branded clothes with labels showing is not a great way to style a look. It may show that you have money, but it will also show that you lack in class. Understated class is much more appealing. (Here's how a gentleman sports a logo.)
6. Sexual connotation prints: It is good to know that you have adult tendencies and will come to use when desired, but till then any funny, printed sexual connotations on your clothes can lead to rejection or postponement of any desired intimacy!
7. Socks and footwear: There may be an opportunity where to get more comfortable you have to remove your shoes. So please ensure you are wearing, have to be a fresh, clean pair with no torn edges or toes. Also, the shoes that you decide to wear need to be clean, smell free and polished, if required. (Here are 6 shoes every man must have.)
8. Oral care: One thing that is a big letdown, for and by either of the sexes, is bad breath and dirty teeth. It is the biggest turn off that one can encounter. Regular brushing and a visit to the dentist for cleaning will help maintain dental hygiene. Also, chewing gum, regularly drinking water, not staying empty stomach before or during a date can help ensure that this is one thing less to worry about during intimate moments. (Here are 6 natural remedies for healthy, white teeth.)
Neeraj Gaba, or popularly addressed as the cool, trendy Mr. Gaba of India's Next Top Model, is a youth mentor, holistic grooming expert and motivational speaker. Follow him on his Instagram and Twitter handle @iamneerajgaba.