Whether it's your body, face, or often-neglected zones like hands and feet, here's a guide to staying soft and supple this season.
1. Layer On:Hydrating and nourishing products during colder seasons will restore lost moisture and relieve dry, thirsty skin. Remember, think layers, for example mist + serums +moisturiser, when it comes to keeping skin healthy all winter long.
2. Cleanse + Tone: Use a nourishing creamy cleanser followed up with a hydrating, refreshing toner that rehydrates dry, parched skin. Look for hydrating, calming ingredients like aloe vera and cucumber. Spritz a mist over skin after cleansing to lock in moisture.
3. Exfoliate:Use an exfoliant 2-3 times a week depending on your skin and type of exfoliant used. Don’t forget to exfoliate your body - professional body scrubs, salt scrubs and hydroxy acid body packs (ideal for those with sensitive skin) are equally beneficial and also very relaxing. One exfoliating treatment that is lesser known but is incredibly soothing and relaxing as well as fantastic for water retention is dry or wet body brushing - worth a try, I’d say.
4. Treat:Follow with a hydrating booster that will hydrate tissues and plump parched skin. For an added boost, apply a hydrating masque 2 to 3 times a week after cleansing to infuse skin with protective antioxidant vitamins, and restore moisture for fewer fine lines. Parched, dry skin will need rehydrating with a boost of nourishing, creamier moisturiser.
For the body, apply a fine layer of a pre-blended essential oil. All essential oils have the ability to hydrate, oxygenate and detoxify the skin. Some essential oils found in body blends are lavender, sandalwood, orange, clary sage, patchouli, lemongrass and ylang-ylang to soothe tense muscles and nourish the skin. Seal all the plant oils with a fine layer of hydrating body cream. The essential oils and body creams protects the skin from drying out during the winter, whilst restoring the hydration and keeping it supple.
5. SPF:UV radiation can go through clothing, windshields, windows… even clouds; meaning skin is exposed even when you think you’re safe. Wear SPF as part of a daylight defence regimen to help protect your winter skin. Furthermore, this is an investment in keeping the signs of premature ageing at bay.
Always remember to apply all serums, moisturisers and body oils and creams within 3 minutes after a bath. This skin on face and body is warm and can easily absorb the products, so lesser amount will be required for application.
Avni Amlani is International skin expertand consultant to Dermalogica India. To know more about the brand, visit www.dermalogicaindia.com