The season of dry and flaky skin is over. But if your skin still lacks lustre, then your skin needs extra care to cope up with the changing weather.
We end up with dry skin when the outer layers of the skin lose their ability to maintain normal moisture levels. It is caused by many reasons such as cold weather, shaving, excessive use of makeup, perfumes or harsh soaps, ageing and other health-related conditions.
Use gentle and mild skincare products and soaps. Avoid using skincare products containing alcohol if you have dry skin.
Try out these natural ways that effectively treat dry skin:
1. Make a paste using a slice of papaya and a banana. Apply it on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Papaya is a very popular fruit for treating dry skin naturally. It not only reduces dryness but can also be used to remove scars.
2. Cucumber can be used to moisturize dry skin and also to lighten skin tone. Make a paste of a cucumber and apply on the face. Leave the pack for 30 minutes. Do this regularly and you will notice visible difference in a few weeks.
3. Apply fresh curd on your hands, face and legs. Take a bath or shower after 15 minutes. Your skin will feel refreshed. Do this once daily.
4. Mix one-half cup of yoghurt with three teaspoons of mashed papaya. Add a few drops each of honey and lemon juice. Apply it on your skin for 10 minutes and wash with cold water. Do this once a week.
5. Add a teaspoon of honey in a teaspoon of rose water and apply on face and neck. This face pack will cleanse and tone the skin and give you a glowing complexion. This is one of the most useful remedies for dry skin.
6. Apply aloe vera gel on your face for 30 minutes. This will make the skin soft and glowing. It also removes dead skin and prevents ageing.
7. Massage hot olive, almond or coconut oil on the body prior to bathing. This makes the skin soft and smooth, and it will retain moisture post bath.
8. Mix a few drops of lemon juice, one teaspoon of milk and two teaspoons of milk cream. Rub it on your hands and legs before taking bath. Do this once daily.
9. Apply warm coconut oil by gently massaging it all over your body before going to sleep. Wash it off in the morning. Do this daily to make your skin soft and smooth.
With 24 years of experience, Dr Deepti Shrivastava is Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist at Skin Hair & You skin and laser clinic. After MBBS from AIIMS, New Delhi, she studied dermatology, aesthetic medicine and lasers from UK and Germany.