Tea tree oil, which comes from the native tea tree of Australia, is known not only for its herby aroma but also its medicinal and beauty uses. Toxic if swallowed, tea tree oil is one of those beauty ingredients that needs to be used very carefully. This potent essential oil has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial, making it excellent for treating a variety of skin and scalp infections. And no, it has nothing to do with the tea you drink every day.
1. Tea Tree Oil to Fight Acne: Laden with powerful anti-bacterial properties, tea tree oil is a natural combatant against acne. The best way to use pure tea tree oil is to use it with a dropper for spot application. Repeat the process for a couple of nights and the acne will slowly start diminishing. Since it fights germs and infections, it’s a good idea to use a tea tree face wash daily – whether you have acne or not.
Try: The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil, Rs 695
2. Beautiful Nails: Used daily, tea tree oil can get rid of nail infections and make them healthier and shinier. Use the pure version twice a day to see results.
Try: Aroma Treasures Tea Tree Pure Essential Oil, Rs 237
3. Cures Dry Skin: People who are worried about the dryness of the skin will find a perfect solution in tea tree oil. It supplies long-acting hydrating agents to the skin. The best way to make tea tree oil work for dry skin is to add tea tree oil with almond oil. Let the mixture be in the ratio of 5:1. Apply this solution to the entire body and bathe after some time. Make this a habit and your dry skin will soon be history.
4. Razor Burn Relief: If your man has been left with major razor buns, your kind words (and kisses) will not really heal it. Mixing tea tree oil with any other oil in equal ratio will. It provides a healing cool to the burn. Apply it on the affected area and leave it on for an hour – you can also use an after shave with tea tree oil. Slowly, the burning sensation will make way for a cool and healing appeal.
Try: Iraya After Shave Gel With Tea Tree, Rs 325
5. Dandruff and Lice Cure: Tea tree oil is naturally blessed with hydrants and anti-bacterial properties. Both of these are sworn enemies of the white flakes and creepy crawlies in your hair. Tea tree oil just needs to touch your scalp to start fighting. The easiest way to do that is to drop a couple of drops into your shampoo before applying it on your hair.
Try: Fabindia Tea Tree Shampoo Dandruff Control, Rs 275
6. Hair Growth: Noteworthy also is the fact that tea tree oil also benefits the hair to grow. It helps in unclogging hair follicles and takes nutrition till the roots of the hair. Mixed with a carrier or base oil (say coconut oil or sesame oil). A tingling feeling will linger on your scalp initially but slowly, it will ease out.