We’ll tell you a secret – your beauty routine is about to change forever. Yes, charcoal is taking over skincare and its beauty benefits are being talked about everywhere. Traditionally used to treat wounds in India, it has been used as a beauty ingredient for clear and sparkling skin in Japan for ages. Surprised? But before you go hunting for some charcoal, know this. You don’t need to apply it directly to your skin. Activated charcoal, which is basically carbon that is treated to improve absorbency, is finding its way into our cleansers, face masks, scrubs and soaps for its unique beauty benefits. But how is something that dirties your face supposed to make it look good? What makes it so special? Let’s find out.
1. It Fights Pollution: This is the biggest USP of charcoal. If you live in a polluted city, it will take care of your skin like nothing else. Activated charcoal has the unique ability to draw out toxins from your skin. It basically acts as a magnet for toxins. Use a charcoal-based face wash every night to let your skin recover from the day.
2. It’s Also a Magnet for Dirt and Oil: Just like toxins, dirt and oil also get attracted to charcoal. When you wash it off your face, the dirt and excess oil also leave your pores and exit your skin, leaving it absolutely clean and healthy.
3. It Takes Care of Blackheads: If blackheads are always shining bright on your nose, you need to get your hands on blackhead removal strips that have activated charcoal. It really pulls out those deep-seated blackheads. Getting rid of them will become super easy!
4. It’s a Fantastic Weekly Treatment: Use a charcoal face mask every week for some excellent deep cleansing. Those of you with oily skin can even use it twice a week. If you have dry skin, apply the face pack and use a good moisturizer afterwards. We recommend Blossom Kochhar’s Aroma Magic Activated Bamboo Charcoal Mask, Rs 380.
5. It Handles Acne Effectively: Because of its detoxifying and deep cleansing properties, charcoal-based products help you deal with those nasty pimples. They keep your skin clean and clear out your pores to keep zits at bay.
1. Lush Dark Angels Facial Cleanser, price on request. 2. Soulflower Charcoal You Smell Good Soap, Rs 250. 3. Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Charcoal Mask, Rs 1500 (approx). 4. Blossom Kochhar Aroma Magic Activated Bamboo Charcoal 6-in-1 Pack, Rs 380. 5. Pond's Pure White Deep Cleansing Facial Foam, Rs 85.
Have you ever tried charcoal based products? Tell us in the comment box.