A pair of loose-fitting floor length trousers gathered at the ankles are called harem pants. A controversial fashion creation internationally, it is very close to an Indian salwar in cut and style and has been a popular element of clothing amongst Indian women. None can forget Kareena Kapoor’s epic harem pants look from Jab We Met! The nice thing about harem pants is that they are comfortable for all body types.
So when you do plan to slip into a pair, do keep these quick pointers in mind:
1. Make sure you are choosing the right fabric for your body type. If you have a fuller figure, go for a flowing jersey fabric as it allows the pants to drape more at the right spots. A more crisp fabric like silk, cotton or linen is flattering for a slender body as it adds the needed volume to the frame.
Photograph: (L-R) Sonali Bendre, Anushka Sharma, Neha Dhupia, Kim Kardashian
2. Unless you are tall and skinny, avoid wearing harem pants with flats. A nice pair of high heels adds an instant dash of glamour to your look as well as your body language as it does for Neha Dhupia. The skinnier ones have a wider choice in terms of footwear. While heels remain the top choice, they can also go for flat shoes or kohlapuri sandals or a basic pair of ballerinas.
3. Avoid wearing long tops with these pants as it gives it a salwar-kurta kind of feel and hides the most flattering part of these pants. Try to wear shorter or cropped tops and jackets that end just at or above your waistline, so the pants are the highlight of your look. Sonali Bendre and Anushka Sharma show us how. While Anushka opts for a matching fitted corset, Sonali looks stylish in a more relaxed contrast blouse.
4. If you do plan to wear your harem pants with a longer top, tuck the blouse in like Jacqueline Fernandez. You could also add a casual canvas belt to give more definition to your figure. Curvaceous women should avoid this style as it is bound to add a few virtual pounds.
5. Ditch the jewellery clutter. If you love to accessorize, add a complementing necklace like Sonam Kapoor. Also, with winters setting in, you could opt for a scarf. A couple of bangles or a statement cuff is another alternative if you do not have a flattering neckline or if you are simply not a necklace person.
6. Take inspiration from Rihanna this winters and layer with a clean-cut blazer. It will make the ensemble sharper, more streamlined and keep you warm! Wear a snug top inside but avoid baggy blouses – they add more than they hide.
How do you style your harem pants? Tell us in the comments box below.