SRK and Anushka ride the bike in 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan'
Summer this year promises us to burn a little more than last year. For those who brace the heat every day, travelling can take a toll on not just their style but also on their health. The risk is particularly high for those gentlemen and ladies who head out in their bikes and scooties.
So if you too use a bike or scooter for commuting (or know someone who does), this is what you would need to stay fashionable and healthy this summer.
Arjun Rampal wearing a bandana
1. Bandanas/Headscarves: Though the helmet is an absolute must while riding the bike, it sadly is one of the major reasons for hair fall. This is largely because the heavily helmet and its coarse linings absorb a lot of sweat, which makes it a major colony for germs and bacteria. This harms your scalp leading to major hair loss. One easy way to avoid that is to wear a bandana or a headscarf. It creates a film between the hair and the helmet’s lining. If the heat is unbearable, you may use a wet headscarf for some relief.
2. Faux Sleeves: We know that faux sleeves were the face of wannabe fashion several years ago, but for bikers, they have a lot of utility benefits. Hands are exposed to the harsh Indian sun while riding, which can be problematic. Apart from giving you a terrible tan, it can also cause major sunburn and over-exposure can lead to skin disease. One of the simple ways to avoid this is to wear armbands or faux sleeves. The usual ones with tattoos are just ugly, so buy a simple set of faux sleeves that goes with many outfits.
Katrina Kaif and Hrithik Roshan in a still of 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara'
3. Shoes: Even if you don’t like wearing closed shoes in summer, do wear them while riding. The surface of the road naturally absorbs heat and behaves like a steaming hot pan. Moreover the engine generates further heat and together they can literally burn your feet. Several bikers complain of rough skin around their feet, which is largely because the area is exposed to this heat. Ideally, one must wear shoes and keep the feet protected. If you want to skip shoes, we recommend wearing socks with your sandals while you ride. The fashion faux pas will be forgiven as long as you take them off immediately after you reach your destination.
Anushka Sharma in 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan'
4. Sunglasses: Do we really need to explain this? Well, not many helmets come with protective tinted fibers that save you from the sun’s glare and this is where your sunglasses become necessary. The sunglasses, apart from making a superb style statement not only protect you from the glaring sun, but also keep the dust out of your eyes. If you wear eye makeup, the sunglasses become even more necessary.
Deepika Padukone in a scooty advertisement
5. Sunscreen: Sunscreen should ideally be a part of your everyday beauty and dressing up regime during summers. But if you also happen to be a rider, the need is imperative. Understand your SPF needs well and never ride without it.