You don’t have to make frequent visits to the salon to ensure your hair stays long, strong and shiny. Just go rummaging in your kitchen, and you’ll find enough nutrients for a healthy mane.
1. For coloured or dyed hair, heat a little castor oil and massage lightly into the hair. Comb the hair to make sure it has been properly distributed. Then do the hot towel wrap. Leave on overnight.
2. If there is dandruff, after shampoo, add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a mug of water and use as a last rinse.
3. For shiny, silky hair, take used tea leaves and boil them again in four to five cups of water. Strain and cool the water. Add the juice of a lemon and use it as a final rinse after shampoo.
4. When you shampoo the hair, add an egg to one tablespoon of your shampoo and mix well. Apply and wash the hair with this. Egg cleanses the hair and adds body.
5. For dry hair, rinse the hair with milk and leave on for five minutes. Then rinse off with plain water. Milk helps to nourish and soften the hair and gives it a healthy shine.
6. If the hair feels limp and without body, dissolve two tablespoons gelatin in two cups boiling water. Cool it and use as a last rinse after shampoo.
7. Applying egg white to the hair, 20 minutes before shampoo, reduces oiliness and gives body to the hair.
8. For oily hair, make a hair pack with moong dal (lentils) to cleanse the hair and add body. Soak the dal overnight in enough water. Next day, grind or blend it into a paste. Add 2 teaspoons oil and apply on the hair, like a pack. Wash it off after half an hour.
9. It is said that coconut oil promotes hair growth. However, you can also apply coconut milk on the hair at night. Leave on overnight and wash hair the next morning. Coconut milk not only promotes hair growth, but also softens dry hair.
10. Beat an egg with two tablespoons of sesame seed (til) oil. Apply on the hair and again wrap a hot towel for 10 minutes. Eggs contain biotin, the vitamin which helps hair growth. They also contain protein and add body to the hair.
11. Onion juice can be applied on the scalp to help hair growth, because onions contain sulphur.
12. Wash and grind methi (fenugreek) seeds. Soak in warm coconut oil overnight. Next morning apply the oily paste on the scalp. Leave on for an hour. Wash hair. Rinse thoroughly with water to wash away all the methi powder. Helps to prevent dandruff and lice infestations.
13. Hair usually becomes limp when the humidity is high. Five drops of Tea Tree Oil can be added to a mug of water and used as a last rinse.
14. For dry, rough and brittle hair, apply hair pack. Mix well together one egg, one tablespoons castor oil, the juice of a lemon and one tablespoon aloe vera gel or juice. Apply on the hair and wear a plastic shower cap. Wash the hair after half an hour.
Shahnaz Husain is the beauty baroness of India. Her spas, salons and and range of beauty products are present in different parts of the country.